Senior Optical Design Engineer
What are we looking for
In this role, you will design advanced micro optical components and/or systems for AdHawk’s tracking products. You will need to perform thorough optical simulations to ensure that the designs are suitable for high volume production environments. As a senior optical design engineer, you may participate in a part or full product development cycle – including concept design, prototyping, characterization and test of optical components, modules and systems. You will work closely with the internal R&D team and external overseas manufacturers to develop manufacturing and test procedures/infrastructures for high volume production.
You are a curious and fast learner that is always hungry for challenging problems and strives for innovative solutions. You are an independent thinker, but also a good collaborator. You enjoy work within and sometime lead a multi-disciplinary, energetic team spanning multiple locations around the world.
You will be joining us as a full-time engineer, primarily based in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Remote work can be accomodated when possible.
- Undergraduate degree with 10+ years related experience or postgraduate degrees with 7+ years related experience.
- Deep understanding of optical theories and optical component, module and system design workflow.
- Proficiency with optical characterization equipment and test procedures (metrology, tolerance analysis).
- Experience with industrial standard design software (Zemax, Code V, FRED, LightTool, Tracepro, DIALux etc.) and modeling techniques (monte carlo, non-sequential optical modeling etc.)
- A track record of meeting aggressive schedules under high pressure, resourceful problem solver.
- Excellent communication skills with good attention to detail, team player, flexible and open to a variety of assignments.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience with micro optical component design (Diffuser, DOE, WLO etc) for consumer electronic applications or other high volume applications.
- Familiar with low cost and high volume optical component manufacturing processes (injection molding, optical thin film coating on various surfaces etc.).
- Working knowledge with Gaussian beam propagation, VCSELs and thin film physics.
- Demonstrated skill in DOE, SPC and data analysis.
- Familiar with 3D CAD drawing software (Solidworks, AutoCAD etc.)
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Design, characterization and test micro optical components for sensing applications.
- Work with customers to convert their system level specs into design specs for optical modules and/or components.
- Conduct feasibility studies and engineering analysis for new design concepts.
- Collaborate with test engineers to develop optical test setup for interferometry, profilometers, optical metrology, MTF test etc.
- Provide trade off analysis among various design constraints to the product development team for design solution optimization.
Something looks off?