Director of Capture Engineering / Directeur de l'ingénierie de capture
Posted on Friday, January 5, 2024
Deep Sky is the world’s first gigaton-scale carbon removal project developer. As a commercial venture, we build carbon removal infrastructure projects and sell carbon credits to remove billions of tonnes of CO2 from the Earth’s atmosphere.
We have strong fundamentals:
- Expert at complex market systems and finding product-market fit
- Proven success in scaling startups and operating sophisticated businesses
- Strong relationship with capital markets, government, and regional communities in Canada
We envision a future where:
- Tech-based carbon removal projects are the benchmark for premium durable and measurable carbon removal within a network of mandatory and voluntary carbon credit markets
- The planet’s carbon equilibrium has been restored through both drastic emission reductions and large-scale carbon removal
- Carbon removal facilities are considered everyday infrastructure; appreciated for their vital service and light footprint
Deep Sky is at the forefront of combating climate change through innovative carbon removal technologies. Our mission is to develop and implement scalable solutions for direct air and ocean capture systems. We are embarking on an ambitious project, Deep Sky One, our first commercial facility designed to make a significant impact on carbon reduction. To achieve this milestone, we are seeking an experienced Director of Capture Engineering to lead the design and lead construction of this state-of-the-art facility.
As the Director of Capture Engineering, you will be the driving force behind the development of Deep Sky One. Your expertise in designing and building industrial carbon capture plants will be critical to the success of this project. You will be responsible for overseeing the entire engineering process from pre-feasibility through FEED to FID, managing multiple Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) partners, and ensuring the project is completed within scope, on time, and within budget.
In this role, you will work very closely with the Chief Carbon Scientist and Head of Engineering to:
- Identify potential sites for Deep Sky One, optimizing for access to subsurface geologic storage, renewable electricity, and favourable policies.
- Lead the engineering design, planning, and construction of Deep Sky One, ensuring alignment with Deep Sky's technological and environmental objectives.
- Manage relationships and coordinate activities with multiple EPC partners to ensure seamless execution of the project.
- Oversee complex building projects with multi-million dollar budgets, ensuring financial efficiency and accountability.
- Drive innovation in the capture engineering process to optimize the facility's performance and sustainability.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, our capture and storage technology partners, and external stakeholders, to integrate the latest technologies and best practices.
- Develop and implement risk management strategies to identify potential project risks and devise contingency plans.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory standards, environmental guidelines, and safety protocols.
- Provide regular progress reports to executive management and stakeholders, highlighting milestones, challenges, and strategic decisions.
- Mentor and develop a team of engineers and project managers, fostering a culture of excellence and continuous improvement.
An ideal candidate has:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field; a Master’s degree or higher is preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in designing and building carbon capture, industrial chemical, or gas plants, with at least 4 years in a leadership role.
- Proven track record of managing multiple EPCs and delivering complex building projects with multi-million dollar budgets from pre-feasibility through FEED and FID.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to inspire and drive a team towards a common goal.
- Exceptional project management, organizational, and negotiation skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities to effectively collaborate with diverse teams and stakeholders.
- Deep understanding of environmental regulations and sustainability practices in the context of industrial facility design and construction.
Compensation and benefits:
- Salary: competitive salary based on experience
- Benefits: 100% coverage, Company Health & Dental Plan
- Equity: competitive equity in fast-growing startup
- Vacation: Unlimited
- Damien Steel, CEO
- Fred Lalonde, Co-Founder
- Joost Ouwerkerk, Co-Founder & CTO
- Laurence Tosi, Co-Founder, Former Airbnb CFO
- Phil De Luna, Head of Engineering & Chief Carbon Scientist
- Nadia Live, VP Finance
- Brooks Wallace, VP Communications & Marketing
- Jason Vanderheyden, VP Government Affairs & Public Policy
- Seif Belhani, Head of Investments
- Anne Raby, Head of Software
- Genevieve Elie, Director of Finance & HR
- Greg Maidment, Director of Subsurface
- Gabrielle Paris, Director of Legal
- Carl Robichaud, Creative Director
- Ron Hirson, Corporate Development Advisor
- Isabelle Callaghan, Project Manager, Capture
- Jonathan Edwards PhD, Senior Principal Engineer, Capture
- Sarah Reilly, Executive Assistant