Software Development Manager, Hotels Marketplace
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2022
A stellar opportunity to have a massive impact: join a growing team at a company continually redefining how people travel. As a software development manager, you will be directly responsible for many of the innovative features we’ll be working on, whether collaborating with our outstanding design and product team.
The Hotels Marketplace is one of the fastest growing businesses at Hopper, having grown its revenue 650% in 2021. This team works to make the Hopper app the most convenient and trustworthy place to book the best hotels at the best prices. This includes everything from the shopping and booking UX with gamification and price incentives, to automating our best-in-class support so customers can get help when and where they need it. The Hotels Marketplace teams are customer-obsessed, fast-paced, and results focused, so we’re looking for exceptional engineers to help us raise the bar and continue our growth in 2023.
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Lead future development and technical execution for our consumer-facing, travel application, and the backend services that drive it
- Align and drive team members towards an inspiring vision, yet stage work to deliver value incrementally
- Deliver fast user experience for our customers, leveraging our tech stack
- As a hands-on lead, you will work closely with our team of software engineers and product managers to deliver rapid value
- Collaborate directly with the company’s technology leadership on ensuring Hopper’s success
- Hire and develop amazing people
An ideal candidate has:
- Experience managing a cross-functional agile team of mobile and backend developers
- Thrived in managing risk and complexity to deliver robust delightful user experience at scale
- Self-motivation and diligence
- People Smarts
Our tech stack:
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android
- We mostly host our services on Google Cloud with some on-prem
- We use things like Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Redis
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer-paid telemedicine, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a Retirement Savings Plan
More about Hopper
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
- The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
- Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
- Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
- Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
- Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!
See more open positions at Hopper
Something looks off?