Senior Backend/Scala Engineer, LATAM - Remote
Córdoba, Cordoba, Argentina
Posted on Friday, December 9, 2022
We're looking for an amazing Backend Software Engineer to join Hopper's new LatAm expansion team! Our team is responsible for creating a delightful experience for our Latin American users enabling the worldwide expansion Hopper had begun.
As a Software Engineer in our LatAm expansion team, you will be responsible for improving some of our 200+ services or even creating new ones to support a better experience for our users, you may be involved in designing and coding both alone and with engineers from other teams, you'll be able to propose innovative solutions for our projects that will impact millions of lives.
- Build new services that support improvements in the user experience.
- Design, discuss, propose and implement refactors to our backend.
- Integrate new providers working with third-party APIs and partners.
- Work in a complex dynamic environment with a rich API tierCollaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth.
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
- Solid understanding of microservices architecture and ability to autonomously develop Scala-based microservices
- Functional programming experience mandatory, Scala preferred but could also be Java, Haskell, etc…)
- Experience building and managing multiple external API integrations
- Professional experience developing data-heavy platforms or APIs
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales
- Thrived in backend engineering positions and delivered user experience at scale
- A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Mobile Engineers, and other highly skilled specialists
Our tech stack
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python and GoLang
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android
- We mostly host our services on Google Cloud with some on-prem
- We use things like HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, Redis
- GKE (K8), terraform
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query, and Datadog will be your buddies
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary, and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- An entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
More about Hopper
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
- The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
- Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
- Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
- Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
- Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!
See more open positions at Hopper
Something looks off?