Data Engineer (100% Remote) - Data Platform Team
Remote · United States
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2023
We're looking for a Data Engineer to join Hopper's Data Platform team! Our team is responsible for establishing golden paths for building and maintaining datasets for all of Hopper as well as own a few key services central to powering analysis and development at Hopper.
As a Data Engineer in our Data Platform team, you will be responsible for helping us shape the future of data ingestion, processing, and analysis at Hopper and maintain & improve existing data systems.
In this role, you will:
- Build new tools and services that support other teams’ data workflows.
- Design, discuss, propose and implement refactors to our existing data tooling and services
- Be a part of an on-call rotation that offers support for any questions from Hopper employees about data best practices and issues as well as respond to any ongoing alerts
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
The ideal candidate has:
- Experience with data modeling, ETL/ELT processes, streaming data pipelines
- Familiarity with data warehousing technologies like Google Cloud’s BigQuery and working with data warehousing file formats like Avro and Parquet
- Experience with version control systems like Git and working using a standardized git flow
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Professional experience developing data-heavy platforms and/or APIs
- A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability
Our tech stack:
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services and several tenants
- Mostly Scala for backend services and mostly Python and SQL for data tooling
- Airflow on kubernetes for DAG & task orchestration
- We host almost all our services on Google Cloud and use the following Google Cloud technologies: BigQuery, Pub/Sub Spanner, Cloud SQL Postgres , Redi BigTable Google Kubernetes Engine
- We are driven by data and use BigQuery, DataDog, and Amplitude to support that drive
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass or Work-from-home stipend
- An entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams which focus on individual impact
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
- The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
- Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
- Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
- Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
- Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!
See more open positions at Hopper
Something looks off?