Senior Software Engineer, FullStack / Web - Hotels Supply
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2023
About the job
A stellar opportunity to have massive impact: join the growing team at a company continually redefining how people travel. As Senior Software Engineer, you will be directly responsible for many of the innovative features we’ll be working on. Whether it’s collaborating with our outstanding design and product teams or helping our data science group, you’ll work on bleeding-edge to personalize travel for our ever-expanding population of members.
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Take ownership of the programmatic merchandising front-end and BFF codebase, you can unleash your creativity to build our product
- Be focused on delivering projects by removing obstacles as needed to ensure success
- Collaborate with teams across the company to achieve goals
- Build innovative consumer experiences, setting standards for code and performance
- Create delightful user experiences in an app using Swift for iOS and Kotlin for Android
- Build app flows using internal frameworks based on Scala language
- Participate in architectural decisions that will help support our product as it scales.
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry.
- Participate in the product design process and contribute ideas from a product-focused engineering perspective, it’s a collaborative process in which you’ll have a big impact on the product definition.
- Mentor, grow and inspire team members from all backgrounds
- Play an integral role in building a new communication channel to our Hotels
An Ideal candidate has:
- A passion for building engaging user experiences
- User centric and product focused mindset
- Experience or is willing to learn distributed system development in Scala
- Experience or is willing to learn frontend frameworks such as React using TypeScript
- Experience building dashboards for internal or external audiences
- Experience enforcing coding standards, practices and mentoring team members
- Desire to conduct research, compare competition and deconstruct our users' interactions
- Experience creating and maintaining internal or open-source UI component libraries
- Knowledge or dabbled in mobile development on iOS using Swift or Android using Kotlin
- Enjoys building creative product focused solutions that will impact internal and external users.
- The ability to bring leading industry techniques and technologies to the table
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Software Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
- A keen eye to continuously look for improvements in existing systems/products
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs well for our consumers
- A desire to help our team continuously improve
Our tech stack:
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python
- React with Typescript for everything web.
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android
- We mostly host our services on Google Cloud with some on-prem
- We use things like HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, Redis.GKE (K8) , terraform
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
More about Hopper
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
- The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
- Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
- Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
- Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
- Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!
See more open positions at Hopper
Something looks off?