Senior Backend Engineer, International
Remote · United States
Posted on Friday, May 5, 2023
About the Job
A stellar opportunity to make a massive impact as a founding member of a new team focused on helping the company scale internationally. We will build the foundational platform that all verticals (e.g. Air, Hotel, Ground transportation) in the company will rely on for their geo-expansion efforts. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will also be responsible for scaling, improving and extending our products and services to accommodate international requirements.
You’ll work with a highly skilled team of technical, data and product-focused individuals, whose mission is to consistently find and deliver the best experience to our international customers. You have strong software, data modeling, analytical skills, and a passion and empathy for our international users. Everything we do is focused on customer experience, you’ll be responsible for making an awesome international user experience a reality.
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Pioneer future development and technical execution for international use cases
- Provide solutions and guidance on methodologies for globalization of applications and services to ensure they are world-ready
- Deliver complex features and help our team pioneer new functionalities for our customers leveraging Swift, Kotlin, and Scala and technologies like Kafka or GCP Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, Redis
- Collaborate directly with the company’s technology leadership on insuring Hopper’s success
- Ensure a highly available and resilient system and foster a culture of excellence
An ideal candidate has
- Thrived in a complex microservices ecosystem and designed, built and maintained robust and well-performing web services at scale (Scala and Java preferred) in a cloud environment like AWS or GCP
- Track record of building and launching innovative products in international markets sorting complexity and uncertainty
- Exposure to iOS, Android, Web, and server internationalization/localization best practices, libraries, and tools
- A drive to iterate architecture in harmony with an agile workflow and working in cooperation and influencing others in large engineering organizations
- A love of learning and teaching with a demonstrable empathy for customers
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Mobile Engineers, and other highly skilled specialists
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills and experience documenting and presenting to technical and non-technical audiences
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and pre-IPO equity plan
- Unlimited PTO
- "Work from anywhere policy"
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Free carrot cash allowance every year! 🥕
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
- The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
- Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
- Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
- Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
- Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!
See more open positions at Hopper
Something looks off?