Senior Data Engineer - Fintech Foundation (100% remote)
Argentina · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, September 5, 2023
Hopper is continually redefining how people travel, combining a best-in-class travel agency with a portfolio of proprietary fintech offerings that give our customers peace of mind when booking travel. More than 100M monthly active users are exposed to our products through our mobile app and a growing list of partners such as CapitalOne, Air Canada, and Spirit Airlines. With a real-time feed of 50B+ priced itineraries daily along with more than ten years of history and multiple external data sources, we have unparalleled insight about pricing and demand trends.
This is a unique opportunity to join our growing Fintech Foundation team and help millions of people travel better, for less. Our team enables our product teams to deliver new products to market faster; produce better quality pricing and provisioning models faster; and be more responsive to changing market conditions, product construction and service outages. As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be directly responsible for developing the services and tooling on our golden path for model development and delivery in collaboration with our product engineers, data scientists and product managers. This will include developing and maintaining our ETL pipelines, and ownership of several tier-one production services.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Specify data schemas and maintain pipelines for delivering huge volumes of real-time streaming data to our data users working in many fields
- Assist with building the next generation of our predictive modeling infrastructure
- Work in a complex dynamic environment with a rich API tier
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper’s continued rise to the top of the travel industry
A PERFECT CANDIDATE HAS:
- Extensive experience designing streaming data systems with tools such as GCP Dataflow, GCP PubSub, Kafka, Flink, or Akka/Pekko Streams.
- Expertise with various data stores (transactional and warehouse) such as Spanner and BigQuery.
- Experience with traditional batch ETL tools like Airflow is also an asset.
- Familiarity with Scala (or other functional, statically typed languages) for backend development and Python for ML automation
- Familiarity with machine learning techniques and technology for model development and deployment is an asset but not required
- Comfortable mentoring and leading people at different stages in their career
- Excel in cross-functional teams, working with Product Managers, Data Scientists, full stack Engineers, and other highly skilled specialists
- Passion for quality; writing robust, performant, and testable code for our customers
- Comfortable being on-call for critical production services relied upon by all of Hopper
More about Hopper
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded over 100 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
Hopper sells $6 billion worth of travel and travel fintech every year; 2022 sales were up 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent around 50% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership, Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
Other partners include Marriott, Uber, Agoda, CommBank and many more to be announced.
Hopper Cloud now comprises more than 50% of Hopper's business; Hopper Cloud made around as much in 2022 as all of the Hopper app did in 2021.
Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 100 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month. Hopper is now the #3 largest online travel agency in North America.
Hopper has raised over $750 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!