Senior Fraud Analyst (100% remote)
IT, Accounting & Finance
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2023
Join our fast-growing and innovative travel company, Hopper, as a Senior Fraud Analyst. Our ambitious growth plans require a secure and reliable platform to minimize fraud and drive value in our supply chain. The Fraud team is responsible for fighting against all forms of fraud while ensuring a safe and frictionless customer experience.
As a hands-on analyst, you will be monitoring and improving performance of our Payment Fraud stack. You will provide candid feedback and technical advice, develop effective fraud detection strategies, and lead payment fraud incidents/crisis management. You will be responsible for rules configuration, projects, performance monitoring and data analysis with a consistent focus on priorities, KPI's and execution of the strategy.
As a Fraud Analyst, you are highly visible and take a leading role in the organization. You will be accountable for the Fraud Ratio and Approval Rate, as well as share the accountability for the Fraud Chargeback result on the P&L.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to drive significant value and make a lasting impact on the future of Hopper. Come join our team and help us monetize our vision while minimizing fraud!
- Build up a holistic anti-fraud mechanism and strategy in support of the entirety of Hopper’s expansion
- Monitor daily business metrics and build dashboards to proactively find new fraud attacks as early as possible and highlight anomalies for deeper forensic investigation
- Frame and conduct complex exploratory analyses needed to deepen our understanding of Hopper systems and users
- Use machine learning and big data tools on tremendously large and complex data sets to enhance our fraud detection tools
- Conduct research into various aspects of our business and employ statistical and modeling techniques when appropriate to make recommendations to non-technical stakeholders
- Develop and maintain complex data models, turning raw data into analytical datasets
- Analyze performance, identify internal & external trends from data, troubleshoot issues, identify new opportunities, and address ad hoc data requests
- Draw insights from data and clearly communicate them to technical and non-technical audiences
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field.
- 5+ years of experience in fraud prevention or a related field.
- Proven experience in building and leading a successful fraud prevention team.
- Experience writing effective narratives.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal
- Strong ability to source and analyze data, including running and modifying SQL queries to investigate anomalies and drive data decisions.
- Should be highly data-driven
- Proficiency in Business Intelligence tools (Google Data Studio) and Anti-Fraud tools
- An innovative and detail-oriented approach to problem-solving
- Experience in the payment, e-commerce, or travel industry
- Knowledge of machine learning techniques and predictive modeling
- Strong experience writing complex, clean, and maintainable SQL in a cloud data warehouse environment such as Google Big Query, familiarity with data warehousing concepts (Kimball etc.) considered a bonus
- Experience working in a cloud ecosystem such as GCP or AWS
- Knowledge of Python, ETL/data pipelines is considered a bonus
More about Hopper
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded over 100 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
Hopper sells $6 billion worth of travel and travel fintech every year; 2022 sales were up 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent around 50% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership, Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
Other partners include Marriott, Uber, Agoda, CommBank and many more to be announced.
Hopper Cloud now comprises more than 50% of Hopper's business; Hopper Cloud made around as much in 2022 as all of the Hopper app did in 2021.
Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 100 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month. Hopper is now the #3 largest online travel agency in North America.
Hopper has raised over $750 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!